If you or anyone else in your household is allergic to cats or dogs but you have to share your home with pets nonetheless, then you should consider investing in an air purifier for pets. For the most part, these devices are built the same way as regular purifiers, with a few added technologies to accommodate various pets. They are built to meet the same functional standards as standard air purifiers alongside specially purposed technologies to deal with pet dander.
As you may already be aware, most of the people who suffer from allergies to cats or dogs do so because of the pet dander inside the room. It is common for pet hair shedding to spread across the floors and furniture, thus causing allergic reactions in people who are biologically prone to pet allergies. In this respect, a good air purifier can deal with the issue before it has a chance to spread throughout the household. Let us then find out what are the ten best air purifiers for pets and what particularities should one consider when buying such a device.
Here are our top 10 picks for the best Air Purifiers For Pets:
#10 hOmeLabs 3-in-1 Iconic Air Purifier with HEPA Filter
The hOmeLabs 3-in-1 Iconic Air Purifier is one of the best in the business as it comes with a HEPA filter that removes 99% of all pollutants, smoke, pollen, pet dander, dust, and mold from any room or office. This filter has a 4 stage filtering process that cleans out even the tiniest particles from the air around you. The HEPA filter has activated carbon and ion boosters to catch microscopic particles. With a 360-degree air inlet, this air purifier removes any foul odors from the room and releases fresh air with ease. It is quite portable as well and is extremely quiet.
Pros: The purifier can be used in any room with a maximum range of 50 square feet
Features a 4-stage purifying technology that deals with all the common causes for allergies
It eliminates bad odors and boosts air freshness
Enjoys a rather quiet operation
Cons: It emits a very bright blue light that cannot be turned off at night
Makes quite a bit of noise when the fan is running
#9 Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True Hepa
The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier has True Hepa filters that catch 99.97% of all airborne pollutants. Pet hair, pollen, dust mites, and other allergens are kept out of the air thanks to this product. The AOC Carbon filter is washable and helps in removal of household odors. The PlasmaWave technology helps in filtering chemical vapors, pollutants, and allergens. With Smart Sensors installed, the air purifier checks the quality of air and automatically activates or deactivates itself. The product is perfect for small or even large rooms with a maximum serviceable area of 360 square feet.
Pros: Can capture up to 99.97% of all air impurities
Features a washable AOC Carbon Filter
Uses smart sensors to gauge the air on a regular basis
Can be used to purify very large rooms
Cons: Its replacement HEPA filters are a bit expensive
Has a night mode that involves a pretty bright light
#8 Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner
If high-quality air is what you want, the Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave technology is the best option for you. Fitted with a True HEPA filter, this product is capable of keeping 99.99% of all pollutants out including those as tiny as 0.3 microns. It removes pet dander, dust, pollen, dust, and more easily. The activated carbon filter helps remove any foul odors from the room including smoke, food, pets, and more. Thanks to the pre-filter, pet hair is kept out of the filter which also extends the life of the purifier. Furthermore, its PlasmaWave technology removes and kills all types of bacteria, fungi, viruses, and harmful gases.
Pros: The auto mode helps keep your air clean whenever needed
Incorporates a fully washable odor control carbon filter
Features smart sensors with an auto-mode to neutralize impurities
Can deal with allergens as small as 0.3 microns
Cons: Only works with a specific type of filters
Not great for bird dander
#7 Pure Enrichment PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier
The Pure Enrichment PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier is definitely one of the most popular pet air purifiers in the world. Thanks to the UV-C light installed in the product, harmful germs, bacteria, and viruses are killed. With the True HEPA filter, 99% of all pollutants are removed from the air including dust, pollen, pet dander, and smoke. At a noise level of just 30dB, this purifier ensures that you have a good night’s sleep while keeping the air quality around you absolutely clean and fresh. It is easy to set up and use and with a timer, it can be set for 2, 4, or 8 hours or use at a time.
Pros: It is designed to deal with germs and bacteria of any kind
Enjoys a very user-friendly interface
Can work for hours without making too much of a fuss
Has an optional automatic timer to shut the device off at a later time
Cons: Uses a rather weak fan
The airflow could be stronger
#6 Guardian Technologies GermGuardian AC4100 Desktop Air Purifier
Considered as the best filters, the HEPA filter using GermGuardian AC4100 3-in-1 Desktop Air Purifier from Guardian Technologies is a powerful performer. It can keep out pollutants as small as .3 microns. Dust, pollen, smoke, pet dander, and dust are all filtered out leaving your room filled with fresh and clean air. Thanks to the charcoal-infused filters, odors such as smoke, cooking, pets, and more are removed. With UVC technology, bacteria, viruses, and germs are removed from the air. Thanks to its small size, the purifier can be kept on any table or surface.
Pros: The affordable filter can be used for 6-8 months
Enjoys a very compact, portable design
Can trap allergens and germs of any kind
Vastly reduces nasty odors
Cons: It’s not exactly quiet
It looks a bit strange
#5 Guardian Technologies GermGuardian GG1000UVC Air Sanitizer
Guardian Technologies are one of the biggest names in the air purifier industry and their GermGuardian GG1000 Pluggable UV-C Air Sanitizer stands out for the right reasons. For starters, the UV-C technology keeps the air around you clean and fresh and removes all kinds of germs, bacteria, and viruses. It also removes any unwanted odors caused by pets, food, and mold. One of the best features is that it is portable and pluggable which means it can be fit into any wall socket and it can even rotate to fit into tight spaces. Because it uses no filters, the purifier does not require regular maintenance.
Pros: It helps reduce odors caused by bacteria or pets
The UV-C light bulb works well for 6-8 months at a time
Uses a filter-free technology with only a single UV-C bulb
It employs a Titanium Dioxide feature to reduce airborne bacteria
Cons: Generates a rather ‘sweet’ smell at times
Its performance is affected by humidity
#4 Hamilton Beach 04384 Air Purifier
When you use the Hamilton Beach 04384 Air Purifier, you experience absolutely clean and fresh air. Thanks to the HEPA filter, the air around you will be free from 99% of all pollutants, pollution, pollen, dust, smoke, and odors. The permanent filter works better than replaceable ones and also saves a lot of cash in the process. With two activated carbon filters included, any unwanted odors including pets, food, and other household are removed easily. The purifier works great in any room and can be used in a maximum space of 140 square feet. The HEPA filter can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and keeps out unwanted pet fur and hair.
Pros: Features two replaceable carbon zeolite filters
Can be used in rooms as big as 140 sqft
Uses a vacuum-clean permanent HEPA filter
Enjoys a very compact, lightweight design
Cons: Doesn’t do much about powerful odors
The filter is rather sensitive to intensive usage
#3 OION Technologies B-1000 Permanent Filter Air Purifier
If you’re looking for an air purifier that helps save the environment as well as clean out your air, the OION Technologies B-1000 Permanent Filter is the perfect choice for you. It uses just 7.5W of energy and the filters are extremely affordable to change. Using Electrostatic Ionizer Purification methods, this product can remove even the smallest of pollutants, mold, pollen, pet dander, smoke, odors, and dust. One of the biggest advantages this purifier offers is that it is extremely silent and has a night light for better use at night. The UVGI technology used in the purifier eliminates all kinds of germs, bacteria, and viruses.
Pros: Uses a UVGI technology to destroy germs, viruses, and bacteria
Employs a Carbon Filtration and Ozone Power technology to absorb airborne pollutants
It runs very quietly by most standards
Works rather well in large spaces
Cons: Leaves a distinctive ozone smell behind
Suffers from a flimsy plastic construction
#2 LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier
Seen as one of the most efficient air purifiers out there, the LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier is a great product to have around the house or office. It has a 3-stage filtration system which includes pre-filtration, True HEPA filtration, and finally the Activated Carbon filtration which removes 99.97% of all impurities from the air around you. The purifier removes all kinds of dust, pollution, pollen, smoke, and pet dander leaving you with clean and fresh air. The product is 100% ozone free and does not produce any UV or ions. There are 3-speed settings for various types of air quality. It is extremely quiet which allows you to have a sound sleep and the night light lets you see in the dark.
Pros: It is very quiet compared to other air purifiers
Has three speed settings to choose from
Perfect for wildfire smoke and ashes
Comes at quite an affordable price
Cons: Can get quite loud on faster settings
Produces high EMF readings
#1 Guardian Technologies GermGuardian AC4825 Air Purifier
Guardian Technologies are perhaps the best air purifier manufacturers in the world and the GermGuardian AC4825 22” 3-in-1 Full Room Air Purifier is a perfect example of what they’re capable of. This ingenious air purifier filters 99.97% of pollutants including ones as tiny as 0.3 microns. Dust, pollen, dust, and more, are all removed from the air quite easily. With the charcoal filter, all unwanted or foul odors are removed instantly. Thanks to the UV-C light, all bacteria, viruses, and germs are killed and removed. The purifier is 22 inches in height and is quite portable, which means that it can be deployed in different rooms at regular intervals.
Pros: Perfect for pet dander, dust, and other allergens
It can reduce common odors from pets, cooking, or smoking
Features a filter replacement indicator to let you know when to change the filter
Can be used in rooms of any size
Cons: It can get rather hot when used for long periods of time
Generates a distinctive smell
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In An Air Purifier For Pets
For whatever reason, you may find yourself sharing a household with a cat or a dog, despite being allergic to them. A good way to avoid any long-term discomfort is to employ an air purifying unit, a device that is both efficient and easy to use. These purifiers suck out all the germs, dust, and bacteria from the air, purifying it in return by removing dust, bacteria, and any allergens that might otherwise make it impossible for you and the pets to share the same room.
- Filter: One of the most important elements of any type of air purifier is the filter. This component holds on to all the unwanted substances like germs, pet air, bacteria, and dust, keeping them from going back out into the room’s atmosphere. While some of these devices use inbuilt filters, others require that you change these filters on a regular basis.
- Service Indication: Extremely beneficial to users, the service indicator light notifies the user if the device is experiencing any difficulty, for example, if the filter is clogged with particles, the user will know of the situation and make the necessary changes. Bear in mind that not all purifiers incorporate this feature, although the good ones generally do.
- Automatic Timer: Another handy feature is the automatic timer setting. This feature allows the user to set a particular time limit for the purifier to work. Once it completes the amount of time, it automatically shuts off, helping with saving power. This timer also helps when you need to leave home and need to make sure the purifier goes off after a certain amount of time, even if you are not at home to switch it off.
- Fan: This component is another vital part of the air purifier, as it pulls in all the bad air so that it can go through the filter to be purified further. Many purifiers even boast speed settings for the fan, which can also be either very loud or very quiet.
- Handle: Not all air purifiers for pets come with the option of being placed on a table or countertop. Therefore having a handle that enables easy mobility, definitely helps, especially when you have to carry the device around to place it in new spots.
- Speed Settings: Another important feature is the control of the speed of the air being drawn in. This helps in increasing or decreasing the purification speed. As we said, this is mainly affected by the inbuilt fan and the pertinent technologies used in operating it.
- Remote Control: Controlling your air purifier from a distance requires a remote control feature that all the good ones tend to have. This feature solely depends on preference and the amount of distance between you and the air purifier.
- Washable Filters: Buying an air purifier for pets with washable filters is definitely a better option. This is simply because these filters will absorb dirt and germs quite often and you would need to clean and change them regularly. This option would help you save a lot of money.
- Air Quality Sensor: This function automatically notifies the air purifier to increase or decrease the level of air filtering, depending on the number of germs and particles found in the air.
Benefits of Using a Pet Air Purifier
- Helps fight different forms of pollution
- Helps to prevent allergies
- Traps dust, dirt, and pet dander
- Eliminates mold, germs, and bacteria
- Helps to reduce and remove smoke, fumes, and bad odor
- Produces clean fresh air and enhances air circulation
- Suitable for household environments as well as office spaces
What To Consider
- Maintenance and Operating Costs: Before purchasing any pet air purifier, it is essential to know the number of finances required to maintain and run the device. Larger sized air purifiers are much more costly than smaller ones and users might just get rid of them because of the high maintenance costs. Always check the device information and details thoroughly before purchasing to ensure that it does not involve any hidden costs due to its long-term maintenance.
- Noise Level: It is advisable to choose a pet air purifier that is quiet by most standards, a unit that doesn’t get too loud when operating close to maximum speed. Most purifiers produce a lot of noise, especially when the purification level is increased. Although not a critical feature by any means, one should always consider just how much a constant buzzing or fanning noise might inconvenience them in the long run.
Durability and Reliability:
- Avoid smoking around the device.
- Clean the filter regularly.
- Try not to use wood or candles.
- Avoid using chemical substances.
- Try to use an air conditioner along with the air purifier in order to prevent external allergens from entering the room.